Sunday, November 9, 2008

a subtle swerve

de-vi-ate
1. to stray especially from the standard, principle or topic
2. to depart from an established coarse or norm

We are living in interesting times.  Sixty years ago it was still the woman's place to keep house and raise children, while remaining beautiful and fresh to receive her husband in the evening with dinner hot on the table.  Forty years ago women started to rebel, and by the end of the generation women were expected to shoot for the highest executive job in the market.  Women can do anything now, and that's great!  But what about those of us who don't want to...
(Men should not feel left out here, I know many men who don't want to work in the office either, my other half included!)

So it is that I come to this:  A woman who was trained for the corner office, but would rather sit in the corner of her sewing room.  A woman who was taught to shake the world, but would rather whisk an egg.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to trade in my slacks for a frilly apron just yet, and I will never learn to let my partner do all the talking.  I will, however, continue to strike a balance and be unashamed of my enjoyment of housework!  This blog will be about my adventures in the home against a backdrop of normal work life.  I plan to share recipes, projects, and a healthy dose of sarcasm.

Welcome to the Deviant Domestic, drop your shoes at the door... the teakettle's on!

No comments: