Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lazy Weekend Food

On the occasion that I find myself lucky enough to have a day off with no plans, I often spend most of that day cooking.  This weekend was a lovely food extravaganza!  Saturday dinner saw a roasted delicata squash paired with an oven risotto.  We still have quite a few apples left over from apple picking season, so we decided to put them to good use for dessert.  We made a half-size apple pie!  I wish I had pictures... it was delicious.
Sunday morning I got up early to make cranberry bread, one of my favorite holiday treats.  The recipe can be found in the children's book A Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende and Harry Devlin.  I cut the sugar to 3/4C to make it more suitable for breakfast, and left out the raisins.  This bread uses orange juice for the liquid and therefore has a very nice tang that is perfect for breakfasts!
Sadly dinner on Sunday was somewhat abbreviated due to rehearsals.  I did manage to make a hot spinach salad to go with our pre-prepped lasagna though.  I will include the recipe for it below, it was wonderful!  What have you been cooking this week?

Wilted Winter Spinach Sauté

you will need:
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/4 - 1/2C onion, chopped (i used a purple onion)
1 large bag of fresh spinach (about 4-5 hands full), shredded lightly
chevre cheese for garnish 
2-3 T bacon fat (better flavor) or butter (more handy)

In a cast iron skillet melt butter or bacon fat.  I used both!  Sauté the onion until it becomes tender, add the garlic.  Stir in spinach in small handfuls, adding more as it wilts down, adding salt and pepper as you go.  Once all spinach is incorporated dish onto plates and garnish with crumbled chevre cheese. (If you live in Ohio, I suggest Blue Jacket Dairy or Lake Erie Creamery)

Happy Eating! 


No comments: